Before you begin, read ALL of the steps below and review the Rubric so you know how you will be evaluated and graded.
Closely follow these steps to complete this Quest for Health:
1. Print out the Menu Worksheet.
2. Go to Kids Food Cyber Club and study the food guide pyramid. When you feel ready click "Start" at the bottom of the page and complete the quiz. Use the space on the worksheet to take any notes that will help you.
3. Using your knowledge of the food guide pyramid, complete the Menu Worksheet to design a 3-day meal plan for Greg. Be sure to include 3 meals a day, snacks, and beverages. Make sure Greg gets the proper amount of food from each food group. Greg is about your age. What foods do you like? What food group are your favorites in? Are they in more than one?4. Your next task to write a letter to Greg's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Goatworth, about the Dietary Guidelines for Americans and how following them will help Greg (and them) live healthier lives. Read Kid's Meal Times to educate yourself about the Dietary Guidelines and their importance in daily living. In your letter be sure to include all of the guidelines and write in your OWN words. Make sure your work is in the form of a letter-use notebook paper.
5. Print out the Fat/Calorie Chart Worksheet.
6. Greg's favorite place to eat is McDonald's. He loves BigMacs, large fries, and 21 fl oz. strawberry shakes. Go to McDonald's to research Greg's favorite meal and fill in the following chart and answer the questions at the bottom. Keep in mind that a young person Greg's age should consume between 2,200-2,500 calories per day and a maximum fat gram intake between 70 and 80 grams.
7. Print the Rubric and staple it to your 3-day meal plan, letter to Greg's parents, and chart worksheet. Be sure your name is on your work and turn it in to the teacher!
8. Nice work!!! Your almost finished...your final step is to click Here.